Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Word Count Wednesday

                                                              What am I working on?
                         
     This week, I finished my first short-story called Solace. My goal for the next few days is to work on two things: evaluating how Solace turned out, and creating something that's at least one step up from it.              

                                                   How do I feel about the process?

     I go back and forth with how I feel about my short-story. Being the writer, I feel a personal connection with the characters and that, at least to me, is what really makes a story. If I relate to or can sympathize with the people in the story, then the story itself means more. However, in trying to honestly evaluate this story, I find myself wondering if most readers will get to the end of it thinking that what "happened" in the story was...nothing! Quite frankly, I'm not of the opinion that it's an especially eventful story. It isn't! The important parts are not obvious. I worked in hidden messages through symbolism and even in the twist at the end (which, by the way, is easy to miss). I don't like stories to shout the moral in my face or completely abandon the elegance of simplicity. I do wonder though if, as a result of this preference, I write in an overly illusive and simplistic manner.

    I might try my hand at fantasy for my next writing project, but I foresee that being challenging since that genre seems to demand epic/adventure/action elements, and I don't know if I can write like that. Apparently, strong plots are not my forte!

                                                              What am I reading?

Same two books as last week...

Total word count: 2,005

No comments:

Post a Comment